It has become commonplace in the church today to see pastors and spiritual leaders declare blessings on their congregation. I see this everyday: “You are blessed! You are blessed when you come in and go out; you are the head and not the tail,” blah, blah, blah.
Leaders please, I’m not against this but seriously, tell your members the truth! Members, please read the bible for yourselves. Most of these blessings have conditions attached to them! Without fulfilling those conditions, you are not entitled to those blessings. Just as unbelievers are not entitled to heaven, so are those who do not fulfill certain criteria not qualified for the blessings of God.
My reading of Deuteronomy 28 opened my spiritual eyes and gave me insight into this. In fact, I love Deuteronomy 28. It’s stuffed with serious blessings. As a matter of fact, most of the blessings declared in churches today are from this chapter. I have tried to summarize the most striking of these blessings below:
1. You are blessed in the city and in the country.
2. You are blessed in in your going out and in your coming in.
3. They will come at you from one direction but flee from you in seven (this one is very popular)
4. The Lord will bless everything you put your hands to.
5. The Lord will grant you abundant prosperity.
6. You are the head and not the tail
7. You will always be at the top and never at the bottom.
Before these blessings are listed in the bible however, there are conditions attached. I quote this below:
Deuteronomy 28: 1&2
“If you fully obey the Lord your God and carefully follow all his commands I give you today, the Lord your God will set you high above all the nations on the earth. All these blessings will come upon you and accompany you if you obey the Lord your God”
Hallelujah! It’s automatic. Bible says once you fully obey the Lord your God, the blessings automatically follow. It’s funny how these basic doctrines and principles have disappeared in biblical teachings today. We teach prosperity, without teaching the underlying requirement for it. Obedience is the key. The chapter continues to declare that whoever does not obey will have the opposite. In fact, the warning is so strong that Moses literally lists each of those curses:
1. You are cursed in the city and in the country.
2. Your children are cursed and your crops and animals are also cursed.
3. You are cursed in your going out and coming in.
4. The Lord will curse everything you set your hands to do.
5. You will not have good health.
6. The sky over your head will be bronze and the earth underneath iron.
7. You will come at your enemies in one direction but flee in seven directions.
8. Your carcass will be food for the birds.
9. You will not enjoy the fruit of your labor.
10. The alien will be the head, you will be the tail
11. You will never find rest and will always be anxious.
12. The worst of these curses is in the last verse; that you will sell yourself as a slave and yet no one will buy you.
Beloved these curses are serious. And we ought to know that being blessed is not a matter of just going to church. Neither is it just a matter of declaring blessings. I have personally resolved to obey God. I will obey the written word of God. I will obey the spoken word of God, because I desire to prosper. Obedience is the key to prosperity. What do you think?
BTW: We are building the largest Christian Social Network Ever! Please Join our Mailing List to be informed when we are done.